An electric rim lock is becoming more and more popular as it can be integrated with the intercom, video door phone, doorbell, access control keypad., etc. Many people prefer to use this type of lock or change their traditional rim locks to electric rim locks to fulfill home safety automation. Does that come with some questions is it easy to install this lock? How to install if getting this lock? This article will help you know about the answer.
Check the contents of the electric rim lock
Before getting started on installation, make sure that all the parts are included. A standard electric rim lock includes below contents:
◆Small lock shell
◆Outer cylinder (only for separated cylinder locks)
◆Fixing plate (only for separated cylinder locks)
Check and determine the latch bolt on the lock is for the inward door or the outward door.
The default setting of an electric rim lock is for inward doors which are more commonly used in many places, so in most cases, no need to make any operation on the lock. Meanwhile, if your door is outward, changing the direction of the latch bolt on the lock to suit outward doors is required. Below are pictures to show you how to change the latch bolt to an outward opening.
Note that some models of electric rim locks have longer latch bars that can be pulled out directly, no need to dismantle any pins or any parts, just pull out the latch bolt and change its direction.
How to install it?
（1）Remove the upper and lower screws from the small lock shell, then remove the shell bracket that is inside the small lock shell.
（2）Determine a height on the door frame, screw the shell bracket to the door frame, place the small lock shell to the bracket again, and screw the upper and lower screws that retired from the first step. Screw the side of the small lock shell to the door frame. Finish fixing the small lock shell.
（3）Remove the two side screws on the lock body, then take out the lock cover from the lock body.
（4）Align the lock body to the small lock shell that is fixed on the door frame, and make sure that they are at the same height. Mark the location of the cylinder and punch a hole with a suitable size for the cylinder on the door.
（5）Attached is the outer cylinder with cylinder cover to the hole, screw 2 long screws(these 2 screws’ length can be cut as per the door thickness) through the 2 middle holes on the fixing plate to make the outer cylinder fixed, also secure the fixing plate by another 4 screws.
（6）Match the cylinder hole in the lock body and the driving beam on the outer cylinder, and screw the lock body to the door. Insert the keys into the outer cylinder and try to open the lock, making sure the function is workable.
（7）Re-attached the lock cover to lock the body and screw it.
The above installation steps are for separated cylinder electric rim lock, if for attached cylinder electric rim lock, follow the below steps after finishing above steps (1)~(4)
(5)enter the cylinder of the lock body through the hole in the door, then screw the lock body on the door. Insert the keys to the outer cylinder and try to open the lock, making sure the function is workable.
(6) Re-attached the lock cover to lock the body and screw it.
(7) Attached the cylinder cover plate to the external cylinder of the lock and screw it.
How to work?
- Connect to the power supply
After installing the lock to the door, connect the two wires of the lock to the power supply (DC12V), which usually also connects with the switch, exit button, intercom, video door phone, doorbell, and access control keypad to make it electrically controlled.
Note: No need to distinguish “Positive” and “Negative”.
2. Opening the way of the lock
（1）Opening from the inside
A. Require power to open, press the switch/exit button/intercom/video door phone or similar electrical devices with the same function to control.
B. Press the push button to open.
(2) Opening from the outside
A. Require power to open, connected with access keypad/reader or similar electrical devices with the same function to control.
B. Use the key to open.
- The electric rim lock is used on both wooden doors and metal doors, the above installation steps, are available for both two types of doors.
- Install the lock body and cylinder on the door edge and the small lock shell on to door frame. Please ensure to keep about a 5 mm distance between the lock body and the small lock shell as shown in the diagram below.
3. The lock is designed to suit most commonly used doors, but loading spring tension might be required to adjust, as it is adjustable with the door’s weight and door closer’s power. If the door locks with a big noise or is unable to close, adjust the hexagonal nut with a spanner or a pair of pliers to make the lock works well.
(1) Don’t install the lock with wet hands.
(2) Don’t connect to a power supply to do the installation.
(3) Don’t weld the lock in case burning coils are inside the lock.
(4) Don’t use the lock in rain or pour the lock with water.
(5) Don’t inject the sticky oil into the cylinder core for lubrication.
(6) Don’t use the lock beyond DC10V~15V.
(7) Better to use the lock under DV12V, 2.5A for best performance.
(8) Each electrified duration of opening the lock by power in 1 second is enough to trigger opening the lock. Please make sure that continuous power I not applied to the lock for more than 5 seconds. It may overheat the coils and damage the lock.
(9) Use the pencil lead powder as the lubricant for the cylinder core.
(10) Able to combine with access keypad, exit button, DC power adapter, etc. (Please use it under proper instruction).